LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

HI MY NAME IS MARGARET AND I AM A FOODIE...

I am a Foodie and proud of it.  I have always loved grocery shopping; even when I was a little girl, I loved going to the supermarket with my mom.  When I was growing up we had several large chains in the Capital Region.  Our local large chain, is Price Chopper (formerly known as Central Markets and soon to be known as Market32.)  But in the "old days" we had ShopRite, Grand Union, A&P and Albany Public Markets.  Now it is just Price Chopper, Hanoford and ShopRite.  But we also have several smaller speciality markets, Fresh Market, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.  Then there are many small independent markets here and there around the Counties that make up the Greater Capital District.

I do all my shopping at Price Chopper, specifically their new concept market, Market Bistro by Price Chopper in Latham; and Fresh Market.  Market Bistro has been a Price Chopper for many years, it was not the original store (that is in Schenectady and is still there) but is was their largest and no it is even larger.  There are several Price Choppers closer to my home, but there has always been a larger variety at this store and worth the few extra minutes of drive time.  And, Fresh Market is right up the street, so it makes it alittle easier to get everything done in one shopping run.

But, you know you have a problem, when the first thing you do on vacation is go to the local supermarket.  Some of my favorite markets are Wegman's, Market Basket and The Big Y.  Unfortunately these stores are not close enough to me for regular shopping, but we tend to find them pretty easily when ever we travel.  I am sure there is a 12 step program that could help me.  But like I said I am a Foodie and admitting it is always the first step.

Take a look at what the Golub Family (owners of Price Chopper) have done.


Although the store was pretty large, they took half of the vacated BonTon Store next door.  The other half went to Hobby Lobby.
One of the biggest changes was adding Bistro Boulevard, which is basically a food court;  a sit down restaurant, Chef's Grill, which is open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner and a cooking school.

 
 
The whole store got a very impressive makeover.  Although shopping during the year long construction was a nightmare, the end result was worth it.
 
 
 
The Deli.
 
 
 
 
 
Several specialty shops, everything from beer to nuts, through out the store.
 
 
My favorite department is the produce, it is huge.
 
 
 
And larger aisles with laminate wood floors.  The store is a little dark in some places and with the high industrial ceilings it can be a little loud at times, but it is a great shopping experience.
 
We have two Fresh Markets in the area.
Latham is mine.
 
 
They have a nice variety of items that are not in the larger stores.
 
 
The bakery is to die for.
 
 
 
 
There is just something wonderful about walking around a beautiful supermarket, or is it just me?
So, are you a Foodie too?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




















No comments:

Post a Comment