LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

Sunday, March 15, 2015

IT'S ALMOST ST. PATRICK'S DAY

The weekend before St. Patrick's Day offers Albany's 65th annual St. Patrick's Day parade; and even tho it was 45 degrees it was a bit damp and rainy.  So, the parade is out and I do not drink alcohol and I have never understood celebrating any holiday in a bar.  Then there is corned beef and cabbage, something that I have never acquired a taste for, although I know many people who love it.  And, having the luxury of being able to do things during the week I prefer to spend weekends as a home body. 

Since St. Patrick's Day is on the cusp of the first day of Spring and green is it's signature color, the day gets me thinking about eating green.  Here are a few light (dare I say Spring like) treats that can be carried through the weekend and week.

 
Cheese tortellini with broccoli in an Alfredo sauce, topped with shredded Parmesan cheese.
Of course right after I dropped the tortellini into the boiling water, I remembered I had a bag of tri- color (white, orange and green) in the freezer.  That would have been more appropriate for the holiday.  But I digress, I use an easy pre-made sauce and this is great as left overs too.
 
 
I love using refrigerated rolls to make these little meals, that can also be a snack.  Here, chicken, broccoli and cheddar.  I just spray a muffin tin and press the rolls into the pan, then mix together the chicken, broccoli and cheddar; fill the rolls and bake at suggested temperature.  I usually bake a little longer the package suggestion to accommodate the filling.
 
 
A favorite snack in this house is spinach dip on bagel chips.
 
 
Flat bread pizza topped with feta, artichokes and Kalamata olives is another quick and easy meal or snack.  Like the chicken, broccoli, cheddar cups just add a salad or bowl of soup and you have a great light meal.
 
 
Or add roasted potatoes with green onions and bacon as a side.  But I could make a meal out of any potato dish, especially one with bacon (because everything is better with bacon.)
 
 
And the perfect side salad, and one of my favorite warm weather staples, chickpea, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion salad.  I like a Greek dressing with this salad.
 
 
And the best desert I can think of is mint sherbet!  Yum!
 
 
 
 
And how about some mint teas.
 
So that is some of my ideas for something different for St. Patrick's Day week snacks and meals.  As I have said a millions times, it doesn't have to be pricey or elaborate to be fantastic; simple and easy is the way to go.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment