LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

Friday, March 27, 2015

OUT AND ABOUT

A bit cloudy and damp this Friday afternoon, but a perfect day for a trip to Troy for The Capital District Garden & Flower Show at Hudson Valley Community College.  This event is in it's 29th year and for just $10.00 (with proceeds going to The Wildwood Programs) it is quite a bargain.



The show consists of a garden exhibit, a flower arrangement competition, classes, demonstrations and our favorite The Market Place (featuring over 100 vendors.)  So after breakfast off we go.  Doors open at 10:00 a.m. and getting their fairly early is wise (especially today) since college classes are in session. 

We hit the garden exhibit first, and we are greeted by a five foot tall metal rooster!

 
Outside the main floor exhibit are a variety of local clubs showcasing their orchids, succulents and violets.
 
Several local landscape companies showcase their talents; and usually it is hard to choose who to vote for.  But, this year "hands down" (in our opinions) the winner is WM Designscapes' "The Chinese Artisans Garden."  Take a look and remember you can click on the photos to see them a little larger.
 
 
 
 
Can you see the little birds in the nest, there were several throughout the exhibit.
 
 
And, no the photos do not do it justice.  It is a fantastic display!
 
 
Another little bird nest.
 
 
There was something new this year a sand sculpture and it was still under construction but well on it's way.
 
 
And I loved this vignette in the middle of the show floor.
 
 
The competition area never disappoints, this year a great class featuring work created by students from various programs such as BOCES, ARC and The Wildwood Programs.  Our favorite class was titled "Peter Rabbit's Basket."
 
 
In another class titled "Botanimals" we found this cute little guy.
 
 
Since it is no secret I LOVE everything spooky, you can see why this class was my favorite.  It was titled "A Dinner To Die For."
 
 
 
I actually have a bottle of the Vampire wine!
 
 
 
I have to find out where she found the Frankenstein head vase!
 
 
I am so glad I was not a judge, I could never pick a winner.  I loved them all!
 
And the fruits of our labors included chocolate covered shortbread cookies from Isn't It Sweet from Albany, And chocolate chip cookies and apple pie from the Mohawk Bakery from Fort Plain (in Oneida County.)  The chocolate chip cookies and apple pie are Amish made.
 
 
And this little glass Siamese Cat is from Cute Glass Animals from Art For Us Studio in Shelton, CT.
I will definitely order from them in the future. All the little critters they had are handmade.  They had photos of the work in progress hanging all around the booth.  I have similar little glass animals from my childhood.  I used to drive my mother crazy to buy them for me.
 
 
After the show it is off to lunch.  Although I prefer local restaurants there are a few chains I do enjoy.  And, since we pass Carrabba's on the way home this is a perfect spot for lunch.
Lunch consisted of Arancin
 
 
Minestrone soup (perfect for a chilly day,)
 
 
and my favorite Chicken Bryan.
 
 
And since we picked up some wonderful sweets at the show, no desert.  We make a quick stop a Dollar Tree and then head home. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment