LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

Monday, April 13, 2015

SOUP IS ALWAYS IN SEASON

I love soup and as far as I am concerned it is great any time of the year.  But there is nothing better then a bowl of soup on those transitional days.  Like that first chilly Autumn night or on that cool Spring evening after a warm bright sunny day.  Well, today was one of those days.  After finishing up the yard clean up, a quick easy (early) dinner was on the schedule.  As I have said time and time again, I like easy and I like simple.  So there is cooking from scratch and then there is cooking from SCRATCH.  I choose to cook from scratch.  I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a shortcut from time to time.  So I chose to make my easy version of pasta fagioli and I decided what a better way to use the Easter Bunny pasta!

The ingredients are simple...chicken broth, sauced tomatoes, white beans, pasta and I like to add sweet peas.

 
I add the broth, tomatoes and white beans (drained and rinsed) to a pot (I also add a half can of water.)  I bring it to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cover.  I simmer for 10 minutes.
 
 
I bring it back up to a boil and add the pasta.  The bunny pasta needs about 8 minutes to cook, so I set the timer for 7 minutes.  I add the sweet peas (drained and rinsed) for the last minute of cook time.
 
 
All that is left to do is enjoy.  So, yes it is from scratch, but not SCRATCH; because I used canned tomato but it taste just as well to me.
 
 
Another favorite simple soup is cheese tortellini in a beef stock broth topped with cheese.  And I throw in a few green onions too.
 
 
And there is nothing wrong with opening a can of Campbell's Creamy Tomato Soup!
 
 
And one of my favorite snacks is the simplest yet.  I was talking with my stylist about favorite foods, and I said to her my favorite is so simple it is almost "stupid simple."  My Mother made if for me when she wanted to keep me from bugging her in the kitchen. 
 
It is simply bread, oil, vinegar and pepper.  It is great for that day old bread that is a little too hard to eat but perfect for toast.  I toast it very lightly and add oil, red wine vinegar (but very lightly, do not saturate it you do want it soggy.  The toast should stay crisp.) And top with a little pepper.  Yum!!  And it is great with a bowl of soup too.
 
 
 
 
So now I have to be snarky for just a moment.  A few nights ago I saw an infomercial for "Adult Coloring Books."  I honestly can not remember how much they were, but I do remember they cost a lot more than they should!  Tonight on the local news they did a story how coloring for adults is catching on.  Okay, so I have always love to color and yes it is very relaxing.  But when I (and adult) color, I usually color in the same coloring books I would have colored in as a child.  I mean coloring is coloring right, so why pay $5, $10 dare I say $20 for an "adult coloring" book when you can go to The Dollar Tree and pick up a favorite and color away.  My choices are...
 
 
or...
 
 
or even...
 
 
But I am not going to color in a book that cost more than the box of Crayola Crayons.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment