LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

Friday, June 19, 2015

BOOK REPORT

I am very happy to report I have completed another book.  The weather was just perfect the last three days; high 70's, a mix of clouds and sun, low dew point and humidity with a light breeze.  I stuck around the house all three days.  Each day I did a little yard work, hung out in the pool and read DEMISE IN DENIM  by Duffy Brown.

 
I started this series right at the beginning and was instantly hooked.  It is written in the first person, which I prefer; I like the feeling of being right in the mystery.  And it is set in Savannah; if you have never been to this amazing city, you must attempt to get there.  The historic district is a beautiful, iconic Southern city.  The majestic architecture, the cobblestone streets, the live oaks covered in moss and the FOOD make Savannah special.  And Duffy Brown gets it so right.  When I read these books I travel back to my visits.  She really knows the city and writes it as it is.  She is very descriptive and much of the locations are real. 
 
The main sleuth Reagan is smart and sassy; she has turned the main floor of her Victorian home into a consignment shop to earn a living after her divorce.  She and her wonderful Aunt KiKi and occasionally, her rescue dog, BW (Bruce Willis) get into all sorts of mayhem.  And then there is Walker Boone!  He is so well written, you can't help but fall in love with him.  And, since the beginning of the series, I have met many wonderfully diverse, colorful and lovable characters.
 
In this story Walker is the suspect and it is up to Reagan to solve the mystery.  But Walker is always there in the shadows (like usual.)  Reagan has to dodge an angry detective, trophy wives, thugs and alligators.
 
As with all the previous books in this series, the mystery is very well crafted.  It is funny and filled with laugh-out-loud moments.  When I say Reagan gets into all sorts of mayhem, I mean it.  This series is so well written I actually find myself reading it with a southern accent.  It is so fast paced, once I start reading, I can't put it down.  But, one warning, DO NOT read this on an empty stomach.  There are no bad meals in Savannah and all those wonderful meals are in these books.
 
I can't say enough about this series, I love all the books I read, but The Consignment Shop Mysteries are right at the top of my list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment