LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

BOOK REPORT

I can't believe it is June; 3 months into my reading season; and I am only on my third book.  But, even though I enjoy reading I don't like to rush through books, just for the sake of finishing a book.  As we get deeper in Summer, there will be more lazy days to read by the pool. 

I just finished MAYHEM AT THE ORIENT EXPRESS by Kylie Logan from her League of Literary Ladies series.

 
I mentioned earlier in the blog that I had picked up the third in the series; a Halloween theme, THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HARLOW; and was instantly hooked.  I quickly purchased the first two in the series to see what I missed.
 
I am so glad I did.  First, I have to say I love the titles in this series; take off of great classic mysteries.  And, the stories wrap themselves around those mysteries.  The setting is an island on Lake Erie.  The main character Bea, who is a transplant to the island, and owns a B&B is smart, sharp, strong and independent.  The rest of the Ladies are diverse and likable.  The book starts off with a bang; the Ladies are battling it out in the islands court room and the poor magistrate (who is at his wits end) orders them to start a book club.  Side note the little island library needs a book club to continue to receive it's bequeathed funding.  So to save the library and force the Ladies to work out their issues they meet.  The first book is Murder on the Orient Express and as it works out the island's new Chinese restaurant holds the name the Orient Express.  And, you guessed it that's where the murder takes place.  Well, this starts the ball rolling, of course there is a sudden Spring snow storm, that strands the islanders on the island and the prime players at the B&B.  And of course everyone is a suspect.  Sound familiar?
 
The characters and the setting is very well described.  The characters are diverse and each one has an interesting back story, but not everything is revealed; you know there is more to know..  The book is full of laugh-out-loud moments, with the bickering, hi jinks and unapologetic sleuthing.
Bea definitely has a very interesting past, and it will be interesting to see how it works into the story in the future.  It is a well crafted and witty mystery, with just enough twists and turns to keep you guessing right up to the end.
 
I truly enjoyed THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HARLOW and I am glad I decided to continue with this series by starting from the beginning.  I can't wait to see what the Ladies get into next.
 
Here is a peek a THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HARLOW, definitely a must read for Halloween.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment