LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

Sunday, June 14, 2015

ROOM BY ROOM

Compared with some other styles of older homes, bungalows are pretty open.  But, an open floor plan was never on my "need" list when house shopping.  Because the house is small, 1200 sq ft, there is no place in the house that is too secluded.  The living room and dinning room are open to each other, only separated by the colonnades.  I have never been one to like things too "matchy matchy," but I do prefer the decor coordinates, so the house flows from room to room.

I prefer darker, earth tone colors; luckily my home has many tall windows that let in a lot of light.  And as in the living room the dinning room walls are Benjamin Moore Lemon Chiffon.  I chose to paint the colonnades B.M. Sage.

 
 
The colonnades were not in the home when I purchased it; but after tearing out the carpeting the floors showed the foot print.  I know from other homes that the rebuilt colonnades are not replicas; but I chose to mimic the moldings and trims in the house.  I opened the shelves up to the dinning room not the living room.  I also went a bit different with the top surface of the "boxes."  I purchased these hand made and painted tiles from Spain.  Each flower tiles is unique.
 
 
 
I found these candle sconces in the JC Penney catalog right after purchasing my home 20 years ago.  I could not believe the colors matched the colors of my three stained glass windows.  I have one on each colonnade and they add nice ambient light.
 
 
There is not a ton of space on the window wall, but the large windows let in so much sun light.  But, alas what to do to filter all that natural light and provided privacy.  One of my mother's brilliant ideas, was to have my dad make shutters for her front windows.  She didn't want traditional shutters, she wanted them to have space for fabric.  And since she could not find them anywhere, she put my father to work.  I always love those shutters and we both knew they would be prefect for this large bank of windows.  They are stained cherry, and I was unbelievably lucky to find cherry stained wood roman shades for the side windows.  They are very necessary in the Summer to help out the air conditioning.
In front of the windows a homemade table for extra display and use.
 
 
 
Since I like to keep the flow with out being too "matchy matchy," I chose a voile embroidered grommet sheer.  I like to change textiles every year and I like to make sure everything coordinates.
The embroidery matches the print in both the wool rug in the living room and the rug in the dinning room.
 
 
This little chest is a Christmas Tree Shops find.  It is perfect for candles, napkins and doilies.  Above a framed Declaration of Independence and a little light house lamp.  On the other side a "pleather" storage bench stores table cloths and place mats.  And, since I like to rethink the use of things, I found the metal baskets at JoAnn's in the garden section.  They are outdoor pot holders, but I thought they were a unique way to put out some of my tea pots.
 
 
 
This cabinet is made from bi fold closet doors.  My father found them years ago at Grossman's Discount Home Improvement store and assembled them as a cabinet.  I chose the doors with stained and frosted glass.  The sides are the sames doors in a narrower size.
 
 
The french door was also taken out, but I found it in the loft above the garage.  It was a nightmare finding a new vintage style pivot hinge, but I did!  Luckily the door was in perfect shape.  More metal pot holders, another pineapple lamp on top of the hand made side board.  I chose to use lace panel for the doors.  Again, one of my mother's brilliant ideas.
 
 
The original brass chandelier, but the shades are a perfect match in sage, from the Christmas Tree Shops.
 
 
The cherry stain in the dinning room started with the table.  I wanted a cherry farm table but at the time (apparently) it was unheard of.  I wanted it built of planks (I mean what was I thinking, right?)  So my father built it, the legs are a stock legs from The Home Depot and he used a very high grain wood.  The funny thing is, since he made this for me I have seen tables similar in several stores.
The rug in the dinning room is acrylic (for easier cleaning) with a fruit design. The ladder back chairs are from JC Penney and my mom made the gingham slip covers from flat sheets.  Sheets work best, the wash well, don't need to be ironed and wear like iron.
 
 
 
The lanterns are new and I found them at Boscov's.  Pretty nice quality too, for only $7.99 each.  And the runner is Amish made, I picked it up on a trip to Lancaster, PA.
 
 
I would not say I use the dinning room everyday, but it was definitely on my "need and want" list when house shopping.  I love a formal dinning room.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment