LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

Thursday, July 30, 2015

BOOK REPORT

It has been HOT here since Monday, so needless to say I have not gone too far from home.  Monday and Tuesday I didn't leave the house at all, Wednesday I only ran to Petsmart and my local swimming pool store and today I only left home long enough to get my hair done.  The majority of the time was spent in the back yard by the pool!  This was the first heat wave we have had this Summer; up until now the weather has been seasonable, but the last few days it has been hot and humid.

So, armed with my iced sweet tea and my latest book I headed out to the pool.  I stumbled across a book by a "new-to-me-author" Ruth Moose.  DOING IT AT THE DIXIE DEW is the first of the Beth McKenzie Mysteries; and after reading a "blurb" about it last year I decided to give it a try, and I am so glad I did.

 
Beth McKenzie returns to her home town of Littleboro, NC after her beloved grandmother, Mama Alice has a tragic accident and later dies.  All Beth has left is her grandmother's beautiful, but deteriorating old Southern mansion.  So with the help of two dear friends she fixes up the old house and converts it to a b&b.  And despite all the nay-sayers Beth is optimistic and guest slowly arrive.  But when one of guest is found dead in her room and it turns out to be murder, and then a local Priest is found strangled with a silk teddy; Beth becomes a suspect. 
 
The setting is lovely and the characters "zany."  This is such a wonderful traditional mystery and yet a bit creepy.  THAT BY THE WAY IS NOT AN INSULT.  Beth finds unsettling notes, gets locked in a mausoleum, sees shadows, hears footsteps, is followed and is attacked in her own home; it really has a very spooky and creepy vibe, I LOVE IT.  And it is full of Southern charm.
 
I started it Monday and read it continually each day, I could not put it down.  It was such a fun read and I look forward to reading the next book.  For me it had the feel of a good old fashion mystery, and that is what kept me reading.  And I love Beth, she is strong, independent and resourceful.  And her dear friends Ida, Scott and Malinda are all likable.  And the writing is so colorful, I can visualize everything.  And with nice short chapters it is easy to get swept up.

No comments:

Post a Comment