LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

Saturday, November 28, 2015

HAPPY THANKS GIVING!


It is the middle of Thanks Giving weekend, yes weekend; I start enjoying the holiday on Wednesday and continue right through Sunday.

We have a tradition of going out for lunch on Wednesday (the day before) Thanks Giving; and this year we decided to head down route 9 south into Columbia County.  We started out with a stop at The Cross Eyed Owl Gift Shop. in Valatie (pronounced Va lay sha.)
This cute little gift shop is in a nondescript industrial building, but is stocked full of eclectic merchandise.

 
 
We continued south on route 9 and made a stop at the Dollar General and the Dollar Tree, you can always find something interesting in these discount stores; so reminiscent of the long shuttered Woolworth's. 
 
Then it was off to lunch at Four Brothers Pizza/Inn.
I ordered the lemon chicken soup, and the Brother's Saute, home made sausage and broccoli over linguini.
 
 
On the way home we stopped at my favorite farm stand, Golden Harvest Farms, for pumpkin pie, apple cider and cider donuts.
 
 
 
 
 
After a few stops to finish up some errands we headed home.  On Thanks Giving morning it is a light breakfast, I like to eat early, so we have the rest of the day to relax and enjoy the day.  Thanks Giving meal turkey, a simple bread stuffing (just bread, celery with chicken broth) mashed potatoes and veggies.
This year I also made baked breaded artichoke hearts.  A can of artichoke hearts, dried; seasoned panko crumbs, but I also add Parmesan/Romano cheese, two eggs and baked at 375 for about 30 minutes.
After drying the artichoke hearts, dip in egg then in panko mix and into the oven.
 
 
And turkey shaped butter, it is in a sculpted form, but to make it easier to use, I carefully sliced it in half and laid it on a plate.
 
 
By night time it was time for a quick turkey sandwich, my favorite is simply sliced turkey and mayo on a dinner roll, and I love this new Snapple Fall blended tea.
 
 
I do not shop on Black Friday, I prefer to stay home and enjoy the holiday.  But this year I did decide to take down my interior decorations.  I will leave the outside up until Sunday, but take them down to make it easier on Monday when I put up Winter.  So after carefully packing everything a way it was time for a leftover turkey dinner.  A little turkey, mashed potatoes and some stuffing, smothered in gravy, yum!
 
 
I also decided to roast some chestnuts, I made my first batch around Halloween and I was getting the itch for that wonderful chestnut smell.
 
 
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were beautiful warm and sunny.  Today is a bit cool cloudy and damp, so it is an easy day inside.  But tomorrow, I will take down the outside decorations and get ready for Monday morning.  But the best part is two more days to enjoy left overs.
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment