LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

Saturday, December 5, 2015

LATE FALL VS. METEOROLOGICAL WINTER, YOU BE THE JUDGE

I guess if I call March 1 the first day of meteorological Spring; June 1 the first day of meteorological Summer and the first day of September, meteorological Fall; then I guess I have to call December 1st meteorological Winter.  But we are having such wonderful mild weather (thank you El Nino) I want to hang on to the Fall title as long as I can.

Don't get me wrong, we don't usually have very harsh Winters (but we have had a few pretty tough ones,)  and we have had  more "brown" Christmases than white and we have had some very warm Decembers.  In the 20 years I have been in my home, I usually decorate for Winter in just a sweatshirt and have never had snow on the ground.  But this weather has been consistently 8 to 10 degrees warmer than average and much more sun than is usual for November and December.

But since it is technically Winter and the time of the year for some great comfort food, and with the Thanks Giving leftovers gone, what's to eat?  Friday I had some running around to do and wanted something fun for dinner, I decided to make my own Neba roast beef sandwich.   Neba and Mike's Submarines was always a favorite spot and it eventually transformed over the years to Mr. Subb.  Several years ago they started making the Nebas again, but they are so easy to make at home. 
I chose Brioche buns and a nice sliced prime rib roast beef.  I lightly toasted the buns, heated the roast beef and the cheddar cheese and put it all together with waffle fries on the side.

 
 
And I decided to go with a nice tall Shirley Temple, my favorite mixed beverage. 
 
 
Hanging around the house today to get some indoor chores done I decided to make pita pizza with Goat Cheese and Kalamata Olives, who doesn't love a Goat Cheese Pizza!?!
I love these grilling sheets I found at the Dollar Tree last Summer, they are perfect for pizza, it lets the heat get under the bread and the crust comes out nice and crispy.  I works great for everything, pita, flat bread and pizza dough.
 
 
Pita pizzas are quick too, 15 minutes at 375.
 
 
I also decided to make my favorite, peanut butter cookies.  During my Jr. High School years every kid (both boys and girls) had to take both a home ec. and shop elective every year.  And in 6th grade my home ec. was cooking and the first thing we made was peanut butter cookies from scratch.  I was so excited I came home with my little recipe and show my mom how I could make the cookies all by myself.  So, I still have my simple recipe, but I haven't pulled it out to make the cookies in years.
Peanut butter, sugar and an egg and viola you have a cookie!
I do keep a little flour on the side to keep the fork from sticking when I make the ridges.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment