LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

LITTLE BUNGALOW LIFE

Friday, May 13, 2016

HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13TH!

One of my favorite days, and I am always happy when one rolls around.  Unfortunately we only get one this year.  It was a bit rainy but we still managed to get out for lunch.  Celebrating Friday the 13th is a must.  But, even if the rain kept us in, the day would not have been a loss.  I have enough great movies on DVD, books and music to help ring in the day.  And that does include the FRIDAY THE 13TH series.

I have a list of some of my favorite story tellers, and on the list is Ira Levin.  There are not many who can tell a story like Ira Levin.  One of my favorite novels and later an incredible movie THE STEPFORD WIVES.  This short little novella, only 144 pages, is totally chilling.  Yes, the1975 movie is fantastic, but the book is something I read often and always in one sitting.

One of my favorite scenes in the movie is between Joanna and Dale "Dis" Coba; she poses the question, why do they call you Dis, he answers, because I worked at Disney Land, she responds, I don't believe it.  Then Dis says, why not?  Joanna responds, you don't look like the type of person who likes to see people have fun.  Why this scene, well let me put it this way, I agreed with George Lucas when he called Disney the "white slavers."  And "Dis" is the gentleman responsible for improving the wives.  I have to admit I liked the remake with Glenn Close, Christopher Walken and Matthew Broderick in 2004.  Of course, that is mainly due to the amazing Frank Oz, who directed.

 
My favorite play of all time is by Ira Levin, DEATHTRAP.  We saw it on Broadway in 1978 and my one memory of that performance; was the collective gasp at the KISS.  If you have never seen the play or the movie that followed in 1982, all I can say is watch it.  When the movie came out in 1982 and we saw the cast, Michael Caine, Christopher Reeve and Dianne Cannon, we immediately went to the theater to see it.  And, in this case this movie was as good as the play.  I had to own a copy of the script for one of my favorite stories and I found this in a used book store years ago.
 
 
A great play that never got produced, BUT did make it as a pretty good T.V. movie in 2003 was FOOTSTEPS.  The movie featured (the very sexy) Bryan Brown. Candice Bergen and Bug Hall.
It is so well done.  I would have loved to have seen this on the stage.
 
 
Let us not forget ROSEMARY'S BABY.  A great novel and movie.  And one of ONLY 14 Horror Movies to win an Oscar.  You know how I feel about Disney, don't get me started on the Oscars!
 
 
SLIVER
 
 
And the list goes on and on.  Of course his work was not limited to thrillers, he also created many great comedies.  But, my heart lives with his thrillers. 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment